4.13.2005

What's your inner deejay telling you?

Today at work I found it necessary to plug in my headphones and crank the music to full blast. [It's a long story but basically some disgruntled citizen decided to park herself outside City Hall, more accurately outside my window, plug in a portable microphone, and let go a 4 hour tirade about taxation without representation at the top of her lungs. Made it extremely hard to concentrate].

So, I spent the day listening to multiple mix CDs of favorite songs. Which got me thinking …. Sometimes a simple pop song speaks profoundly and directly to your heart. Also reminded me of an entry in the Convent Files (a blog by a novice named Sister Joy I found awhile ago) about God beeing our "inner dejay" giving us messages we need in those lines that get stuck in our heads.

So, what was my inner deejay telling me today? Here are some lyrics that are now stuck in my head:

-"And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad. … When people run in circles, it's a very very mad world." - Gary Jules, Mad World
-"I am a visitor here... I am not permanent" - Postal Service, The District Sleeps Tonight
-"Cause when you live in a world, well it gets into who you thought you'd be, And now I laugh at how the world changed me, I think life chose me after all." Dar Williams, After All

2 comments:

~pen~ said...

a dear friend of mine, fr. danny, says to take secular love songs and add *Jesus* to the end - he says the devil hates that (of course he would!)

i also like the idea of taking a song that might be repeating itself in your head and turning inot a moment of reflection; however, i don't know how that would bode for some of the commercial jingles that are unrelenting...

~pen~ said...

that would be into, not inot...

spell check, preview. i do neither, apparently :)