12.30.2004

Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety

This morning I came across this prayer in my prayer book - the People's Breviary from the Carmelites of Indianapolis (which I HIGHLY recommend).

O Holy Word of God, you call us to walk with you each day in the mystery of your love. We are often anxious and worried about our own well-being. Help us to put aside false anxiety and to trust in your care for us. Grant us the grace to discern wisely, to act confidently, and to let go courageously. We ask this in your name, Word Incarnate, among us.Amen

It's just what I needed. I find it so easy to push myself into the unknown future … yes I think I've come a long way in discerning whether I'm called to religious life (all signs point to yes) and maybe even some clues as to which community. But then I get into the details of how to get from here to there. How to get out of debt. How to leave my work commitments. How get rid of my house full of junk. How to leave my wonderful friends and parish community. Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety. So easy to forget that I am loved. God loves me and cares for me. Trust in god. Act confidently in that love. And be courageous to let it all go. All will be well.

A good prayer for this almost New Year's Eve. It's now taped to my monitor at work and hopefully will bring me back from the spiral of anxiety if I happen upon that path again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog and I am very interested to read about your journey. I am sort of, kind of, maybe, partially, interested in perhaps, some day, looking into investigating the religious life (phew! I said it!)... but I'm not sure. ;-) Actually I am filled with deep yearning when I see pictures and read accounts of the more cloistered if not downright hermetic monastic lifestyles (if I can use that word). Whether I can handle it is another matter entirely!

I love the Carmelite breviary too, such a breath of fresh air.

Best of luck!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Sylvia!

So glad to have you "stop by" my blog. I've actually been struggling with whether to continue posting publicly this very personal journey. You helped me remember why I started this in the first place. I know exactly how you feel (maybe, partially interested some day). I know that I would not be where I am now were it not for other brave strangers sharing their journey with me through blogs. So I'll keep going for now.

God bless you on your journey.

Peace,
Susan