12.09.2004

Who I'm getting to know

When you spend half your life pretending you don't know what God is talking about, you might wonder when you finally stop and listen .... where do you start? This summer, after we had "the" conversation, my pastor and friend FSB gave me a lovely magazine chock full of full page color ads (and ads of various other sizes and color schemes) which was oddly reminiscent of a college catalog. You can check out Vision online if you don't know what I'm talking about. It was a reminder that it's a BIG church with plenty of room for everyone - lots of variety.

I gravitated more towards the modern, groovy, saving the world type sisters. More my style. It was kind of fun getting information in the mail - again, analagous to looking at colleges. Of course, I was lured out west 15+ years ago by a glossy mailing from my now alma mater Lewis & Clark.

For convenience sake though I ended up contacting two local-ish communities - the Holy Names sisters (hereafter the snjms) and the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace (csjps). Little did I know that my first two stops on this journey might be my last, for now anyway. They're both cool and seem like they might help me to make sense and to make sense of the world. I get a feeling of tremendous potential with both, although I see myself growing differently with each. And that's where I'm at now, getting to know them both, trying to be patient, open to the spirit. I'll admit it's a bit odd though, feels like I'm dating two people. I never was a good juggler, good thing I'm not on my own on this journey.

No comments: