3.02.2005

Brothers & Sisters to Us

In 1979 the US Bishops came out with their landmark pastoral statement on Racism, Brothers & Sisters to Us. The latest Pax Christi USA newspaper Catholic Peace Voice has some good reflections on the 25th anniversary. I also put together a newsletter for my own parish Peace & Justice Commission.

I fear it will be a long time before the Church grows in its understanding and appreciation of another group of our brothers & sisters … the gay and lesbian community. A very complex issue. One thought I have, which I actually heard somewhere recently. Since Jesus made such a point of reaching out to the marginalized in society (tax collectors, prostitutes, the Samaritan woman at the well last week) wouldn't it make sense that if he visited our church today, he'd minister to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters?

Check out this piece on the Busted Halo site … it's an interview with an anonymous gay priest.
Also this
controversial blog entry about the Pope's recent statements on gay marriage.

What will it take for us to move to love and compassion and open and honest dialogue?

All I can think to do is pray. For the WHOLE human family.

No comments: