5.31.2005

space to be

I spent much of yesterday making space. I cleaned out some of my piles of paper on my desk and made prodigious use of my new paper shredder. I felt like I should have a parade after with all my confetti! I also updated my binder of statements from the bills I'm paying off - so nice to flip through and see the balances going down, down, down.

I also started phase 2 of getting rid of stuff. I'm a recovering pack rat, and I have a bit of an ingrained reaction against paring down my collection of stuff. I've stumbled upon a great system though. I put the items in question into a few rubber maid type containers which I hide in my closet for a few months. If I really can't part with it I can fish it back out. If I haven't noticed it's gone after a few months, it's ok to give away or sell. This is where much of the treasure trove I divested myself of at the rummage sale came from. Now it's on to phase 2.

With my new found space in my living room, I created a little prayer space. Where my stereo and CD collection used to be, I now have some candles and icons and other assorted items that help to get me into a spiritual/mental space where I can slow down and just be. I also found a great blessing prayer for my new space in Prayers for the Domestic Church. Of course the question will now be, do I hide some of the more overtly religious items when I have guests over? It is smack dab in the middle of the living room. But then again, I am considering becoming a Sister …

All I know is it felt so great to settle down in my little space this morning to just be with God. There's so much to pray for and think about …. might as well be comfortable while I do it.

Peace to you all on this day.
Susan

4 comments:

Regina said...

Susan, I think it's so important to have your own little prayer space- I know I've been working on one for a while now. I don't think you should have to hide things when people come over- they should accept you for who you are and what you believe- and future sisters should have beautiful, spiritual things in their home!

god googler said...

I too did some spring/summer cleaning this Memorial Day Weekend. I donated a whole lot of books and moved some out of our apartment into my office. I also found a whole lot of DVD's that I don't watch. My wife couldn't get over how clean and organized the living room looked the next morning. Scored major brownie points.

great sandwich! said...

don't hide it. your friends understand that you're still the same you, because we spend time with you, but when we see outward expressions of your faith, it is easier for them to "get" why you're on this path.

Anonymous said...

I can't exactly hide my faith...I have a four foot high Virgin of Guadalupe on the wall! :-D