6.08.2005

catholic paradox

Peace & Justice geek that I am I’ve been reading the US Bishop’s 2000 Statement on Crime & Criminal Justice.

Our Catholic faith can help us and others to go beyond the current debate and gain a deeper understanding of how to reject crime, help heal its victims, and pursue the common good. … In some ways, an approach to criminal justice that is inspired by a Catholic vision is a paradox. … We believe in responsibility, accountability, and legitimate punishment. Those who harm others or damage property must be held accountable for the hurt they have caused. … At the same time, a Catholic approach does not give up on those who violate these laws. We believe that both victims and offenders are children of God.


It’s so easy to judge – criminals yes but those in our own lives as well. We see the action, we see the "sinner," but do we see the child of God? Do we see our brother and sister and their inviolable dignity, value and worth? It takes work, this Catholic paradox of ours. But I do believe it is what our loving God is inviting us to. Challenging us, and through us challenging the larger world.

3 comments:

Jimmy said...

When did you first decide to look into being a "groovy sister"? Please e-mail me with your answer if you want.

Steve Bogner said...

I guess I don't struggle with that so much (maybe I just *think* I don't). Sometimes people do bad things - sometimes illegal things - but they are still God's children like the rest of us. Sure, punishment & reconciliation and all that needs to happen, but the fact they committed a crime doesn't mean we have to give up on them. If anything, it means they are in serious need of our support.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Steve,

I think I don't struggle with it either. But then I have situations (one quite recently) where someone does something SO STUPID and I immediately jump to judgement. What's wrong with them? I think some not so nice things. In this case it was a group of us that were feeding into each other's judgement of the "guilty party."

Then it stopped and hit me - he's a child of God. A simple realization but it stopped my vicious judging cycle.

I also look at our society and how we treat prisoners. How we lock them up - forever preferably. 3 strikes and you're out. I have a neighbor who's son is in prison. He committed an admittedly stupid crime when he was 18. He's going to be in prison until he's 40. He went in a sad misguided boy-man. What will he come out?

I've been feeling more and more drawn to this issue. I'm wondering if prison ministry is in my future ... Which would be somewhat funny seeing as that's what my mom did in her last career.

Jim - I'm going to take a shot at an answer to your question. Check back in a bit.