6.30.2005

non-spiritual "nun" reading

I stopped buying books a few years ago in my "involuntary simplicity" kick to get out of debt, but I always have 30-40 books out from the library. Mostly spiritual reading these days, with some fiction thrown in for good measure. It helps that I can order the books online and then pick them up at my local branch which is 1 ½ blocks down the street! Sometimes I browse in the local Powell’s Bookstore and then check online to see if the library has it.

At the parish rummage sale in May I picked up a mystery by Sister Carol Ann O’Marie. A quick decent read, with the added bonus for me of being about Sisters. Research if you will! There’s a senior sister (Mary Helen) who’s a bit of a detective. She’s got a partner-in-crime-solving (Eileen) also a senior sister. There’s also a younger sister (Ann) who is seemingly the third wheel but is really the alternate partner in crime solving. I think a big part of what I like is the dynamic between the older and younger sisters. Let’s face it, that will be a BIG part of my reality. So, not great fiction but fun and semi-illuminating so I’ve been working through the series.

I was on my County library website to put a hold on some more of Sr. O’Marie’s books when I stumbled upon this subgenre of books … "Nuns – fiction" … with 57 listings! Who knew? A number of them are the Sister Helen mysteries, but I’m intrigued by the others. I ordered a whole bunch (but NOT the Danielle Steele – read enough of those in middle school to last a life time) which I picked up yesterday evening. Some look intriguing, some like pure drivel. I’ll let you know if I find anything that’s blog worthy!

For now back to my mystery for a little bit of bedtime non-spiritual nun reading!

5 comments:

Talmida said...

HAve you read the Sister Fidelma mysteries by Peter Tremayne? She's a different kind of sister -- medieval Irish.

Also, In this House of Brede, by Rumor Godden (fabulous novel about an English Benedictine house in the 50s-60s) and A Right to be Merry, by one of the Poor Clares -- forget her name. Sister Mary Francis or something.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Thanks for the tips!!

Anonymous said...

OK, Susan, what I want to know is when (if) you sleep - my problem with library books is that I never have time to finish them (speaking as another soul who has 20 or so books open most days) before they're enormously overdue. How do you manage?

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Hi Susan!!!!!

Well, who said I ever actually FINISHED them? Although one thing I like about the fluff mysteries I've been reading ... I do finish those.

Yes I do sleep .. sometimes a whole 7 hours! But I don't have a lot of unoccupied downtime. Which is why I actually schedule "Susan time" for myself. Otherwise the time fills up....

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Plus I can renew the books online in a matter of seconds! One click renews them all.

Ahh, technology!