12.30.2005

my year with teresa begins

Via Penni I discovered Moneybags at A Catholic life who tells us about the tradition of choosing a saint at random to be your patron for the new year … or actually letting the saint choose you. Moneybags has so very graciously offered to facilitate the patron-saint-selection process for others as well. Sounded like a good way to mark the beginning of what promises to be an important year in my life, so I added my name to the growing list.

Well, I received my e-mail from Moneybags this morning. St. Teresa of Avila has picked me for 2006! I'll be learning and sharing more about her over the coming year. Just put the Interior Castle on hold at the library.

Moneybags asks only that we share any connections we discover with the Saints. Based on reading a few online biographies of St. Teresa of Avila:

1. She is the patron saint of headache sufferers, which unfortunately describes me. Interestingly enough the thing that has most decreased the frequency and duration of my headaches has been beginning a regular practice of prayer & meditation.

2. She was a reformer who spoke truth to power. Let's just say there are some similarities, not that I have any intention of forming my own religious community!

3. She is patron of those who have lost parents. My mom passed away 2 years ago.

4. She is also patron to those in religious communities. I'm joining a religious community.

5. Yesterday I went on a meandering walk in the rain. It was evening, but not yet fully dark. I looked up at the sky and saw the most beautiful color of blue-black sky behind the trees. The thought that came to my mind was, "God is good. Even the cold and rainy night is beautiful and created by God for a reason." When looking for a closing prayer for this post, I came across this reading from St Teresa of Avila: "There is no such thing as bad weather. All weather is good because it is God's." So another connection of the moment.

I've always loved this prayer from St. Teresa of Avila and so I close my post and begin my year journeying with her …

Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing frighten you.
All things are changing.
God alone is changeless.
Patience attains the good.
One who has God
lacks nothing.
God alone fills all our needs.



4 comments:

Christine said...

lovely. and happy new year to you too.

One of my favorite St. Teresa quotes: “What hope can we have of finding rest outside of ourselves if we cannot be at rest within?”

Also, she was a feisty sister who fought for the renewal of her own religious community and was very, very clever when addressed by inquisitors. Did I mention, very clever? :-)

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Fiesty is good. As is clever.

Hopefully won't find myself needing her assistance when being addressed by inquisitors though! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful prayer - I am for anyone who realises both how much/often we are afraid *and* how unnecessary it actually is. Just reading a book by the Dalai Lama (my kids gave me for Christmas) and the "All things are changing" line really fits in with that
Thank you for bringing it to our attention

A Secular Franciscan said...

Thanks for the heads up. I've now asked for a saint. Wonder who I will get?