1.12.2006

on our side

As often happens, Samuel's story today turned violent. There's a lot of blood, gore and vengeance in the older testament scriptures. Which would be why I never used to read them. I would try. They would kill a whole bunch of people. God would call it good and I'd put the book back on the shelf.

BUT, sometimes it happens that I can read through the blood and gore and glean a message for me today, sans vengeance, wrath and thirst for blood. Today was one of those days.


And what message did I get? I was reminded of two American Presidents. One said, "You're either with us or against us," and implied that God was one of those with us. Another said "I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side."

The Israelites thought they had it made. They had the ark of God and would surely be saved. In the end however, the manly men of the Philistines slaughtered 30,000 of their number and captured the Ark. Did that mean God was on their side?

Projections on today's geopolitical landscape aside, there's much to ponder here in our own lives. In our daily conflicts - both inner and outer. In who we want to be and who we actually are in our daily interactions. For me at least the only answer is indeed to pray humbly.

To quote the scripture that inspired my blog's URL: "You have been told, O people, what is good, and what Yahweh asks of you: Only this, to act justly, to love tenderly, and to walk humbly with your God." - Michah 6:8

PS - On a semi-related note - any one else always think of Harrison Ford when they read about the Ark of God?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan - a great reflection as usual. I thought this morning's reading from Samuel (here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/011306.shtml) was even more relevant to the current political situation. Talk about voting against your own interests... It's like "What's the Matter with Kansas?" Old Testament-style.

I try to read every morning, but if I skip a day you always end up pointing me toward it by that afternoon!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

That's funny. I overslept this morning and didn't get around to catching up with old Samuel. You're right, it is pretty darn relevant.

Cheers!