2.01.2006

reading marathon

Just finished my reading marathon (yes I skipped the speech - I just couldn't bear it - I'll read about it later).

This weekend I purchased two books - something I try not to do often seeing as I'm a block from the library!

Both are now devoured. Anyone else go through phases (as in several years) of reading fiction, then non fiction, then back to fiction? I seem to be back on a fiction phase. Wonder if I'll ever be able to read both at the same time??

Anyway, the new Lemony Snicket was enjoyable fluff, as expected. I love little sister Sonny's use of words.

This evening I finished Mary Doria Russel's new book, A Thread of Grace. Wow. There's a lot there. Like her other books, worth another read some day. For one thing, she shed new light on the Nazi/Jewish/Occupation/Collaborator story for me. She sets here story in Northern Italy, where Italian and foreign Jews are protected and helped by the local population. No intention of giving anything away, but there is also a lot to ponder about evil, sin and redemption. Powerful but also very human.

Tomorrow is February and I get to start using another new book. I've subscribed to the Living with Christ missellettes. No more looking up the liturgical readings in the paper for me! And with all my travelling back and forth, it will be nice to have a small little guide to carry around with me. Church geek and groovy-sister-to be that I am, I'm excited for time for morning prayer to come so I can crack it open for the first time.

5 comments:

Talmida said...

A Thread of Grace was wonderful! I loved it.

And I use the Living in Christ missalettes, too! I get one at home and send one to my Beloved's office. His favourite part is the calendar of the saints at the end.

I'll be curious to see what you think of the NRSV for liturgy. I think American churches use a different version, don't they?

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I think there are two versions of the Living with Christ missalettes - American & Canadian.

Lots of the sisters I know swear by the Canadian version (I think because of the translation). I went for the American.

Although I do have an NRSV Bible of my own that I often use. I love how different translations sometimes speak to me differently.

Talmida said...

I had no idea -- I thought it was just Canadian. That's nice that it's available in both countries.

Anonymous said...

Aha, another Mary Doria Russell fan - I might have guessed! A Thread of Grace is so well done - painful & beautiful, and she didn't even give us the comfort of a happy ending.

Those who use the Canadian version of Living with Christ like it better because the language is somewhat more inclusive - at least that's the reason I've most often heard. I couldn't figure out how to get the Canadian version, so I get the US version and translate gender as I go.

Steph Youstra said...

We've had a mix of Canadian and American orders around our place ... but this year we shifted to all American, since the Canadian price went up and the bulk deal on the American was better.