2.02.2006

gentle strength

I managed to make it out of town earlier than normal tonight, so I got to my weekend groovy sister pad in Seattle just as they were finishing dinner and ready for evening prayer. Normally I don't get here until after 9pm, when everyone is settling down. It was nice to join in the rhythm of the evening.

This line jumped out at me during evening prayer: "O gentle, strong God..."

God's love is so strong, yet God is gentle with us. Very patient, waiting for us, hoping we'll find our way. But the only way we can find our way is by drawing on God's strength.

Worth meditating on, seeing God as both strong and gentle.

On that note, bed for me. Liturgy is bright and early in the morning!

Peace Out my bloggy friends,
Susan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do your Groovies use a particular prayer book or resource? Is it CSJP-specific or not? Just curious. The plethora of books/resources/publications suitable for common prayer boggles the mind!

We used to use these from the Carmelites of Indianapolis for our local community prayer, and a "home-grown" book--containing a baffling number of ribbons and known affectionately as "the gray book" and held together after all these years by duct tape--for larger common prayer. And now many of the Dominican Congregations have just adopted a new, unified prayer book called "Dominicans Praise." It's a beautiful project, but a bit bumbly right now because everyone's just learning how to use the book and all the new psalm tones.

Anyway, hope you're having a good weekend!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Natty,

Each local community determines their own pattern/rhythm and resources for prayer.

Many use the Carmelites breviary, my house included. I've been using it on my own for 2 years now, but much cooler to use in community!