2.06.2006

we are what we are

"By the grace of God I am what I am, and God’s grace toward me was not in vain."

Last night during evening prayer, that line jumped out at me. It was one of the antiphons, but a little internet sleuthing has since told me it comes from Paul’s 1st Letter to the Corinthians (15: 10). Other translations say that God’s grace has not been "ineffective" (NAB) and "has not been wasted" (Jerusalem).

Why did that particular bit of wisdom from our friend Paul jump out at me? I guess it’s just that I’ve been realizing lately that I am indeed what I am. Talented and gifted in many ways as we all are, but I also have my weaknesses and wounds and of course my faults and failings. But I am what I am … by the grace of God.

I find myself on this wonderful crazy journey called life. Beginning a new chapter. Finding ways to follow Jesus in the company of friends who strengthen and comfort and challenge me. But there are those moments, small and infrequent but nevertheless there they are, when I am reminded that I am what I am and my baggage comes along on the journey. And sometimes the monsters get out of their hiding places in the nether regions of my baggage and cause a minor incident, a hiccup, a moment of vulnerability.

But God’s grace is not in vain, has not been wasted, and is quite effective. In the words of the singer/songwriter Badly Drawn Boy:

I'd be a better person
On the other side I'm sure
You'd find a way to help yourself
And find another door
To shrug off a minor incident
And make us both feel proud
I just wish I could be there to see you through

You always were the one
To make us stand out in the crowd
Though every once upon a while
Your head was in a cloud
There's nothing you could never do
To ever let me down
And remember that I'll always love you

Most times, this song makes me think of my mom and how while she’s no longer with us, she is always with me in my heart. Today, those words speak to me of God’s love and grace. Always lavished, never wasted. Always there. And so, by the grace of God, we are what we are, and God’s grace has not been without result.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for this post.
My name is Estefanía Salazar and I´m from Caracas, Venezuela. I met your blog through Mark Mossa´s days ago and have been checking it since.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with a Jesuit friend last week. We talked about man´s worth and where it might lay. Later on, he brought our prayer group university two readings, which resembled some points of our conversation:

Matthew 6, 19-21:

19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Luke 6, 43-45

43 No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.
44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers.
45 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

These were summed up in Isaiah
43, 4:

Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
and people in exchange for your life

You are precious and honored in my sight.

I am trying to see myself in those beautiful words.. with my little monsters included, heh. Not that easy, but worthwhile, definitely.

Best wishes,
Estefanía

P.S.I started a blog two months ago, which you´re invited to visit: http://sofiesverden.livejournal.com. It is written in Spanish, but the latter posts have been done in English.