giving notice

Tomorrow’s a big day … I’m turning in my official resignation at work. My last day’s not until August 18th, but my boss asked me if I could give my official notice so that they can start the recruitment process for my replacement. As you might imagine, it takes ages to hire someone in the land of government bureaucracy.

I’m still “only” a candidate for groovy sisterhood. I haven’t actually applied (or been accepted) to Novitiate. That application process starts next month, and I will have the official answer by August 15th. But realities being what they are, I need to give my notice at work now. You’d think I’d be uneasy about that scenario, but I’m not. I ran my proposed timeline by my formation director and she thought it made sense. And as she said, if there were red flags on my end or their end we’d probably know about them by now.

I can see 4 possible scenarios.

  • #1 Based on my feeling of at homeness with the community (and them with me), I’m presuming the most likely scenario is that all goes according to plan and I move to New Jersey in September for entrance to the Novitiate September 8th (Mary’s birthday!).

But I’m not going to ignore other possibilities. Let’s say August 18th comes and my gainful employment is over, but one of the other scenarios prevails.

  • #2 I decide I don’t want to enter Novitiate
  • #3 The groovy sisters decide I’m not groovy enough
  • #4 For some reason, the process is delayed. For example we might decide to extend my period of candidacy or the new congregational novitiate might not be up and running.

If #2 or #3 happened, then I’d be free to do anything I wanted to. I’d be out of debt. I would have greatly simplified my life. And I could go do some good in the world. If #4, since I’d be free from house and job I could just move in full time with my groovy sister community in Seattle.

Yes there is risk in giving notice 5 months before I know if I have something to be moving on to. But it turns out I am completely comfortable with this huge step of giving notice at my job. And who knows, maybe they’ll hire someone sooner rather than later so I can impart some of this ridiculous knowledge that is buried inside my head!!!


"omis" said...

Wow, that's very exciting, Susan.

I've often thought about that day when I will, God willing, turn in my resignation.

Of course, I must only provide 10 business days, and that only if I want to collect the vacation pay I've earned for 2006. Otherwise, I can just walk in and quit on the spot.

ShadowMayhem said...

Talk about a leap of faith.

Talmida said...

So we are always confident; even though we know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord— for we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Cor 5:7

Way to go, Susan!

AveMaria1 said...

I think that is groovy Susan!

Sister Mary Hasta said...

The scary part about leaps of faith ain't the free-fall, it's the push off the edge of the cliff.

You'll be fine! Just flap your arms really, really hard!

Soul_Seeker said...

Well, any journey has to begin with one step...and a leap of faith before you take that step. Wishing you all the best as you move on in your journey!