6.07.2006

morning thoughts

This was in my mailbox a few days ago from the Henri Nouwen Society.

God's Breath Given to Us
Being the living Christ today means being filled with the same Spirit that filled Jesus. Jesus and his Father are breathing the same breath, the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the intimate communion that makes Jesus and his Father one. Jesus says: "I am in the Father and the Father is in me" (John 14:10) and "The Father and I are one" (John 10:30). It is this unity that Jesus wants to give us. That is the gift of his Holy Spirit. Living a spiritual life, therefore, means living in the same communion with the Father as Jesus did, and thus making God present in the world.
It reminds me of a thought that often occurs to me during the summer as I enjoy the sunshine … this is the same exact sun that was shining when Jesus was hanging out on the shores of Galilee. Or when St. Francis was walking the Italian countryside. Or when my great-grandparents started farming in Iowa. And not only was the same sun shining, but the same Spirit that fills us today filled them then and will fill those to come. Pretty amazing when you get down to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good comparison, Susan. I love what Hebrews 13 says: "Be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you or forsake you. So that we can say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.