6.10.2006

nun stories


I just watched Audrey Hepburn in “The Nun’s Story.” It’s a 1959 film based on a novel which is in turn based on the true story of a Belgian nursing sister. I’d never heard of this movie before, truth be told. But I was perusing the video store aisles yesterday and it jumped out at me.

All I can say is wow. And unlike most theatrical and cinematic portrayals of nuns, this one allows you to see the real human struggles and faith journey of Sister Luke from postulant to novice to temporary professed to final profession and, eventually, to realizing she needs to leave the community. There’s lots in between … a detailed portrayal of living the “holy rule” in pre-Vatican II days (lots of kneeling and kissing of the floor – I hear similar stories from sisters in my own community) … training as a nurse … serving in the missions in the Congo … making friends … questioning and wondering how best to serve God.

The ending scene is quite powerful. As the NYT describes it:

The Nun's Story ends with a long, silent sequence in which Sister Luke divests herself of her religious robes, dons street garb, and walks out to an uncertain future. There is no background music: director Fred Zinnemann decided that "triumphant" music would indicate that Sister Luke's decision was the right one, while "tragic" music would suggest that she is doing wrong. Rather than make an editorial comment, the director decided against music, allowing the audience members to fill in the blanks themselves.
Discernment is a life long journey, and when you get down to it that’s what this film is about. We’re all on our own journeys, and if we’re honest we don’t know where our paths will take us. In the journey of faith you need to trust in God, listen to your heart and be open to the Spirit.

In religious communities, people come and people go. That’s a hard thing to come to grips with, especially when you’re in the steps of incorporation. You don’t want to think about the possibility of leaving when you’re just entering! But it happens. The best thing I think to do is realize that we are all indeed on a journey.

Last summer I was privileged to attend a groovy sisters’ former members reunion. In the olden days, when someone left they were never heard from or contacted again. Which I bet is what happened to Sr. Luke once she walked out that door. I’ve appreciated the attempt in my community to heal those wounds and realize that even if they’ve left vowed membership, they are still a part of the story of the community. A number of former members have become associates. And one of my weekend sister housemates is a former member who later became an associate and is now a vowed member again.

Rambling thoughts … which I should stop and get back to some purging and sorting. Times have certainly changed. Sr. Luke took nothing with her to the convent. I’m trying to simplify my life, but I’ve still got clothes and books and paper and such to sort through. Some I’m giving away, some I’m storing, some I’m taking to Novitiate with me. Tough as it would be to really give it all away, it would make it a little bit simpler!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Susan, I love that movie, and the book, too. It's wonderful. I wonder if it's still in print? I borrowed a copy from the library, years ago.
Discernment is indeed continually unfolding, and it is a joy to listen to you on your journey.

littlemissattitude said...

As a non-Catholic, I found The Nun's Story to be quite moving. But my favorite "nun movie" of all time has to be The Trouble With Angels. To the unititiated (that would be me), it seems to be a fair and compassionate depiction of the lives of sisters, humaninzing them at a time (it came out in 1966) when a lot of people seemed to still see them as something "other". The movie masquerades, in some ways, as a comedy (the antics of the students in the girls' school that the sisters run), but I think there is more depth to it than that.

Thanks for your blog, by the way. I've become a regular reader, by way of the "Mormon 2 Catholic" blog.

Jocelyne said...

Have you read "This House of Brede" by Rumer Godden? Amazing book.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Thanks everyone!

Ima & Joceylne - thanks for the recommendations for Trouble with Angels and House of Brede. Haven't seen/read either, but they've both been recommended to me before. The Nun Story reminded me that I'd never followed up on the recommendations, but I couldn't remember the titles so thank much.

Jeffrey, thanks for sharing your thoughtful comments. I always appreciate your perspective. "Stuff" is just that when you get down to it. It fills our lives and spaces so that we don't have room for the unexpected. Hopefully I can purge myself of lots and lots to make more and more room! :)

Christine said...

Lovely reflection, Susan. I'm with Ima re The Trouble with Angels...it was recommended to me when I was discerning, as was the Nun's Story. Both articulate some of the complexity of following where God leads and how. Recently my good friend who is applying to our community asked me why I stay and I responded, "Because God hasn't led me anywhere else." While I believe that my vows are permanent - and am truly living them this way, I know God's plans can take turns I can't possibly foresee (ahem, he led me to become a sister!)

Sifting, Sorting and Tossing are ongoing tasks for me too. I came with a van of stuff and have been trying to wittle that down for years - even as other things accumulate. The sorting and tossing are physical ways for me to see the invisible tasks that are for the same purpose - creating space in which God can dwell in me and in my home.

I do love your blog - as Songbird says it is a joy and pleasure and even a reminder to me of the ongoing discernment... anyway, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Susan, was fun to read your blog and be reminded of my own early discernment to religious community. the sifting and sorting continue - I love the spaciousness when I can clear away the clutter and BE. cathy