6.04.2006

the Spirit speaks through rose gardens and rainbows

I’ve got a secret to share with you, my bloggy confessional …. I’m starting to have separation anxiety. I’ve been focusing for the past few weeks on all the things I need to do – at work and at home – to prepare for entering the Novitiate this fall. I’ve also been basking in the light of the excitement of what is to come, combined with a bit of anxiety about what is to come. But what’s been under the surface and what I’ve quite honestly been ignoring is that I’m leaving a wonderful life and the company of many good and dear friends. I know they will still be my friends. I’ll keep in contact, but it won’t be the same.

This became clear to me today as I party hopped. The first stop was my parish appreciation picnic. I love my parish. The time was when I spent the majority of my time there – happily! But as I’ve been spending more and more weekends in Seattle for groovy sister reserves, I’ve been pulling back more and more. Today I was honored to receive an award named after the founder of the Paulist Fathers (who serve my parish). The Hecker Award is given each year to a parishioner who has made an impact serving the community. Given my pending separation anxiety, it was touching to be given this award, which is a beautiful plaque suitable for hanging complete with a picture of Issac Hecker and a quote of his at the bottom. It will be a wonderful momento of my time with this amazing community of faith.

The next stop was my godson’s 5th birthday party. As I sat down to enjoy the clever homemade pirate ship cake (the candles were “cannons” jutting out of the side), his Dad said to me, “This will be your last birthday party, huh?.” I hope to make it to many more of the important events of Alex’s life, but I will be taking a bit of a break while I’m back east. Not to mention the fact that I talk to his mom almost daily. It will be a big change to not be such a regular part of their lives.

The next stop was my friend Kim’s birthday bbq. I was actually at her birthday dinner 5 years ago when I heard that Alex was born. There was much fun, merriment and croquet. I had a good time just hanging out with old friends.

Afterwards, I drove back to my parish for 7pm mass. On the drive I was listening to Sufjan Steven’s song “Chicago,” in which he reminds us that “all things go, all things grow.” These next two months will be busy ones, but they will also be filled with leave takings. Many things will go.

But they will also grow in new and unexpected ways. I was at church early so I decided to stop and smell the roses … there’s a small City rose garden close by. The little square was a sea of roses in a rainbow of colors. I noticed one small patch though that wasn’t quite yet in full bloom.

roses3

A few roses were in bloom, others were beginning to, but the majority were green buds waiting to burst into fullness. “Huh,” I thought. “Yes I am taking leave. Things will not be the same. But new things will happen here at St Phil’s and in the lives of my friends. And new and exciting things will happen as I journey into a new phase of life as well. It will all be ok.” That’s when I looked down and saw the name of this brand of roses ….

rosesign

The Gift of Life. Interesting that on this Pentecost Sunday the Spirit speaks to me through a bed of roses!

At the end of mass, my pastor announced that I had received the award – and that I was joining the groovy sisters. After mass two Sisters from another community that I didn’t know came up to me. One of them had served in Ketchikan, Alaska where the groovy sisters have a hospital. We talked about “my” Sisters and the wonderful spirit of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace. I realized as I was talking with them that I was filled with peace and joy as I talked about this wonderful community of groovy sisters. They truly are God’s gift to me, and I know in my heart it is with them that I will grow into the me I’m meant to be.

On the way home from Church ...

rainbow

I saw a rainbow. Truly God is good. (Notice how the utility pole looks like a cross beneath the rainbow?)...

And as the quote from Issac Hecker at the bottom of my Award says …”To live is to think for God, to love for God, to act for God.” Indeed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Susan, this is so beautiful! I love your observations and how you can remember them well enough to blog them. I often have these flitting thoughts that I want to blog about, but usually the power of the moment is gone or I've forgetten all about it by the time I get to the computer.

Thanks for the great morning read!

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

This was one of the hardest things for me. In my five years living in South Carolina, I had made some of the best and most dearest friends I had in my life. And I knew there was little to no chance that as I Jesuit I would ever work in South Carolina. Yet, God's call could not be ignored.

Nonetheless, there have been times, especially in the novitiate, during which I found myself saying: I left them, for THIS? This, sometimes angrily, to God.

Yet, we keep in touch. And, every couple of years I manage to find a place in my travels for at least a few days in South Carolina to be with my dear friends.

And, after nine years as a Jesuit, many more dear friends have been added to their number, in a variety of places, including, thankfully several of the men with whom I have lived and with whom I am living, among my brother Jesuits.

Steph Youstra said...

If you remember the article I emailed you way back when .... I, too, didn't want to leave "home". But, somehow, I've survived .... and it's all good. :-)