7.18.2006

WaPo on W-M

In my former life, I was a checkout cashier & supervisor at K-Mart. In a month and 2 weeks I become a Novice. So, it's not surprising that this aricle caught my attention over at the Washington Post - A Bid to Get Religion? Wal-Mart Hires Ex-Nun.

I was intrigued. Turns out they hired this woman, Harriet Hentges, to help steer the company's policies on the environment, health care and labor relations. All areas where Wal-Mart needs serious help and public relations.

The headline - and article - focus on the fact that she was once a nun, playing it up as Wal-Mart looking for "redemption" and "salvation." But she left her religious community in 1972 ... the year I was born.

In the 34 years since she has done many things which seem to make her highly qualified for this position.

Hentges served as chief operating officer of the League of Women Voters before joining the United States Institute of Peace, where she led mediation and reconstruction efforts in Iraq and the Balkans. She earned a PhD in international economics from Johns Hopkins University.
More than qualified, I'd say. And some amazing life experiences that only get a brief mention because she once thought she had a religious vocation. Many women left religious communities in the 70's & 80's for a variety of reasons. It was a turbulent time for the Church and religious life after Vatican II. Women's realities changed and it was possible for women to amazing things in the secular world (like get a PhD in international economics). Many realized they were called to marriage and family. Others realized simply realized that religious life was not their calling. It was tough and hard on those who left and those who stayed ... I still see wounds being healed, bridges rebuilt in those I know.

It's a commentary on something about our society that the fact that someone once wore a habit sticks with them as their primary mark in life, even after 34 years of many other interesting things.

Wal-Mart's spokesperson is quoted as saying Hentges was hired for her "understanding of complex issues" rather than her religious background The fact that she was a once a nun "had nothing to do with it," she said. I'm inclined to think that's true.

Well, off to work for this soon to be ex-bureaucrat. Perhaps when I do something super Sister-like, the article will say "Ex-Bureaucrat does x,y,z". Or maybe even "Former K-Mart employee."

Hmmmm.... don't think that's how it works.


6 comments:

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Yeah, it's funny. I noticed in a recent article about former California governor Jerry Brown that one of the first ways in which they identified him was as an "ex-Jesuit seminarian"! That was a while ago too!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I read the same article about moonbeam Jerry Brown and noted the same thing.

Funny...

I shook Jerry's hand once by the way. I skipped a Poli Sci class in college to go see him speak back when he was running for the Democratic nomination in 1992. (I figured actually participating in the political process was at least as valid a use of my time as talking about the political process)

littlemissattitude said...

Never know where you're going to run into another "ex-K-mart employee". Only, when I worked at K-mart, you were about two years old. It was my first "real" job (the snack bar at the swap meet in the 11th grade doesn't really count), the summer I graduated high school. Long enough ago that they paid us in cash.

lma

Lisa said...

I think these parallels are more than coincidences, they are more like what a friend calls, "God-incidences." I think you should try to contact this person and share your story.

lorem ipsum said...

Yes, but as a woman they won't be looking to extend her any opportunities for advancement.

Anonymous said...

I recently read of a UK superstore (think K-mart) hiring current working priest (s) to be available to pray for shoppers 'on demand' ... seems that shopping is finally being recognised as a) high stress and b) the gathering place for today's people.