9.05.2006

Off to New Jersey ... and a brief blog fast

A week and a half ago I was received as a novice by the western province of the groovy sisters. Tomorrow morning in the wee hours I fly to New Jersey to enter the groovy sisters’ Congregational Novitiate. There will be 2 other Novices, one other from the west and one from the east.

We’ll be living on the grounds of the eastern motherhouse in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. Although we’ll be living on the grounds of the motherhouse (which has an infirmary and assisted living for older sisters), w will be our own community, living with our Novice Director and one other Sister. There are many more unknowns than knowns, but here’s a quick summary of the purpose of Novitiate from our groovy sister constitutions:

"The canonical novitiate, spent in the novitiate house, is a period of intensive prayer and study in relative withdrawal from ministerial involvement. During this time a novice focuses primarily on her transformation in Jesus Christ. The novitiate also includes times of engagement in ministry that will evoke the faith dispositions needed by those sharing in the mission of the church as expressed through our charism."

This first year starts officially Friday and is the canonical year of time away. The second year will be a ministry year.

I plan (and have permission) to continue documenting this crazy wonderful journey here on the blog. That said, I’ve decided to take a break from blogging for the first few weeks. I want the experience to sink in before I try to filter it for an outside audience. There may be a few quick updates during this time, but check back in October for regular updates.

The irony is that my traffic these last few days has greatly increased. That’s a blip I know, but if any of you visitors are interested in following along the journey you’d be welcome as well once I return to regular blogging. In the meantime you may find the archives interesting (see the sidebar).

For regular readers, I know it seems like some sort of Catholic blogging disease. First Mark takes a break, then Jason, now me. Rather than it being a disease though, I think it's a healthy effort to integrate a regular blogging practice with the rhythm and intentions of religious life. I do plan to return to the blog in October, although in what form and frequency will depend on where my prayer and reflection takes me. In the meantime, please visit some of my bloggy friends listed on the sidebar.

Please keep me and my fellow Novices (and Novice Director!) in your prayers.

Ciao for now ... Peace Out
Susan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dive in the deep end of this novitiate year sis, especially these first weeks. You are in my prayers and I know God will do some stuff (or should I say continue to do some stuff), great stuff in you during this time. I very much look forward to hearing about it, but don't rush back on any of our accounts before its time.

We will be here when you come back.
Peace

Anonymous said...

Sister Susan, Thank you for taking us on this special journey with you, It has been wonderful and very uplifting. My prayers will continue to be with you and your "Little Comunity"

The Ironic Catholic said...

I'm disappointed not to read the "updates," but you have the best reasons for tuning out the blogdom of God for a while.

I hope you come back soon, though!

Best wishes for fruitful and joyful discernment.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you as you are enveloped in the embrace of the Spirit during the beginning of your Novitiate. Abundant graces and blessings for you and your community of Novices. Peace! ~Richard

Steph Youstra said...

May the gates not close too heavily on your Entrance to Lockdown! :-)

Seriously, though .... I'll be thinkin' lots about ya .... know that I'll still be around for the unbloggables & fuzzy socks!

Peace out, girl.

andrea said...

I, too, will miss your daily updates, but can't think of a better reason for you to take some time away from blogging. Prayers that the start of your novitiate will be full of blessings and love.

the Mom said...

Sister Susan,

Heartfelt congratulations and best wishes to you :)

Trish