11.10.2006

shifts

Plenty has been written (and will continue to be written) on the pending shift of power in Washington. All I'll say here is that it is not unwelcome in my opinion, but my hopes and prayers are that the transition will be respectful and meaningful. Respectful in that I hope it doesn't turn into nasty retribution and meaningful in that I hope some positive steps are taken to improve the quality of life of the poor and vulnerable. We will see what happens ...

I watched the election results Tuesday night with some of my new novicey friends at our Intercommunity program. A small group of us gathered around the television there. This has been a ritual for me my entire life, and so I was glad to have folks to share the experience with. But it was an almost surreal experience for me. For the first time in 8 years, I was not involved in the election in an official capacity. Even more than that, even though I'd voted and was interested in the outcome of the elections, I wasn't as engaged as I usually am.

The moment marked a shift that has been taking place in my own life. I am no longer who I was. I am not yet who I am becoming. On one level this is scary and strange, but on another level it feels completely right. I am still me, but in a different way. It is good to know that I am still me, but at the same time it almost feels like I'm walking on shifting sands as I navigate the world in different ways.

well, there's my note from my alternate novitiate reality for the evening. ...

No comments: