8.31.2007

Seasonal Friday Five

Today's Revgalblogpal Friday Five:
It's Labor Day weekend here in the United States, also known as Summer's Last Hurrah. So let's say goodbye to summer and hello to the autumn. (People in other climes, feel free to adapt as needed.)
1. Share a highlight from this summer. (If you please, don't just say "our vacation to the Canadian Rockies." Give us a little detail or image. Help us live vicariously through you!)

My short sojourn to El Salvador with Sisters & Associates from my Congregation is still stirring deep inside me. It was wonderful to get to know my travel companions better, to visit with friends I hadn't seen in quite a while, but most importantly to experience the hope and life of the Salvadoran people in the midst of a difficult history and past and an unknown future. They were true witnesses of God's love to me.

2. Are you glad to see this summer end? Why or why not?

I must admit I am glad to see this summer end, although it has been full and enjoyable. I don't like hot and humid weather for one thing. For another the end of this summer marks the end of the first year of my novitiate journey and the beginning of the next step. I'm very much looking forward to what lies ahead.

3. Name one or two things you're looking forward to this fall.

Well for one thing, where I'm going to be spending those months after summer, it's called "autumn" rather than "fall." Does anyone know why Americans call the season fall? Is it for the obvious reason that the leaves fall during that time of year? Back to the question, I'm looking forward to my upcoming ministry experience in the UK. I'll be living with two Sisters from our UK province in London and working as a volunteer at a day centre for the homeless. How could I not look forward to that?

4. Do you have any special preparations or activities to mark the transition from one season to another? (Cleaning of house, putting away summer clothes, one last trip to the beach)

I suppose I put away clothes, bring out new ones, and tidy up a bit. Growing up my big moment at the end of summer was buying school supplies! This year of course I'm sorting through what I want to put into my limited suitcase space. When I lived in Portland, I'd usually try to go for a long walk when the leaves started to change. You have to act quickly in Portland, however, because Fall is short lived. All it takes is a good strong rain and all the leaves come down at once!

5. I'll know that fall is really here when ____________________________.

Usually, my tip that fall is here is when the air has that extra special crisp quality to it. It's not hot and it's not cold. The leaves are changing colors, and the kids are back in school.

3 comments:

leah said...

Oh, wow, your #1 and #4 sound awesome! Like you, I think the word "fall" must have something to do with falling leaves?! Many blessings on your continued Journey!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Down Under!

For us, this weekend is the beginning of spring - not a public holiday or long weekend, but special just the same.

I have been reading your blog for sometime - and gaining a great deal from it.

As for the difference between "Fall" and "Autumn" - it all comes down to American English Vs English English (or Australian English).

I hope and pray that you enjoy your placement in the UK - it's a great place.

Blessings and peace

Unknown said...

Wow you have had some great experiences. And I hope you working with the homeless goes well. I think of it as autumn, but will say fall also. Who knows where we get it from.
Maybe it was a move away from formal English to our less formal use of words.