12.05.2007

Goodbye Miss Toastie

Today was my last day volunteering at the day centre. It was also the annual client Christmas party, which was a great way to end my time there.

For the past three months I've spent several mornings a week making toast for the rough sleepers (the British term for folks sleeping out on the street). A simple job, yet surprisingly tricky. I put out a few toast fires. I got to know who liked their bread un-toasted, and who preferred "brown" bread instead of the white variety. My afternoons were spent in the education & training center, helping clients look for work, write CVs and learn basic computer skills, but for most of the clients, I was the toast lady. Or as one of the clients called me today, "Miss Toastie"!

Tomorrow is my last day at Pax Christi. Then I have a few days to wind down, squeeze all of my belongings back into their suitcases, clean my room and spend some quality time with my sister house mates before I head back to New Jersey and the Novitiate House.

My how time flies when you're having fun (and buttering toast!)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Enjoy the remaining days of this grace trip across the ocean and blessings on your travels! Recognizing that you return to the novitiate house having grown more into yourself as "Sister Susan," I pray that the reflective experience of re-integration into novitiate may be enriching, energizing, and encouraging especially as you prepare for the next grace adventure here in the Eastern Province.

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed all your posts from England, almost sad to see it coming to an end. But will be looking forward to reading about your next experience on your
journey. Have a safe trip home...