1.11.2008

First pop tarts, then me

I've got some more meaningful posts in the works (i.e. rolling around in my head), but in the meantime I give you my answers to this week's Birthday themed Revgalblogpal Friday Five.

1. When is your birthday? Does anyone else (famous and/or in your own life) share it?
July 27. My grandmother (father's mother) was born on that day. Likewise the mother of two good friends of mine (they're sisters). I apparently share the birthday with Juliana Hatfield (of Blake Babies fame), Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (of Velvet Goldmine fame) and Pete Yorn (of Pete Yorn fame - he's a singer song writer). Also, according to Wikipedia the Pop Tart is one year older than me.

2. Do you prefer a big party or an intimate celebration for the chosen few?
I prefer to spend the day with a few friends. I've also been known to enjoy a day (or at least part of the day) on my own. Call me an introvert! For example, last year I took myself out to see the Simpsons movie which was released on my birthday ... after an enjoyable breakfast out with my novitiate housemates.

3. Describe your most memorable birthday(s)--good, bad, or both.
Growing up my birthdays were always a disappointment. End of July + Washington DC = Muggy Weather and Everyone on Vacation. Sometimes we were even on vacation. As a result, I never really had a birthday party. In my late 20's I decided to relive the childhood birthdays I never experienced. The best was my 29th Birthday when I made my friends go with me to Chuck E Cheese for a rousing round of Skee Ball, pizza and beer. (The beer must be there for the parents.)

4. What is your favorite cake and ice cream? (Bonus points if you share the cake recipe). Or would you rather have a different treat altogether?
With a summer birthday, an ice cream cake is always a favorite.

5. Surprise parties: love 'em or hate 'em?
In theory I love them, but in reality I'd rather know that the party was being thrown. We always had "surprise" parties at work. But after 11 years, you always knew that when you were called to the conference room for a "meeting" on your birthday, it meant coffee cake, a balloon and an out of tune Happy Birthday.

Bonus: Describe your ideal birthday--the sky's the limit.
Going out to a movie with friends - my choice combined with Sushi at Todai in Portland (it's free on your birthday). Although Skee Ball at Chuck E Cheese was pretty fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TODAI!!!!

My Step-sister and I try to 'give' each other lunch on our birthdays at Todai's in PDX. Now you have to have a paying customer to get your birthday free so we accompany each other for our respective natal days. And then the obligatory trip to Powell's.

I think, if the sky was the limit, I would go sign for a house and then fly to York and have dinner and then walk the Moors... it would be April, so it should be beautiful!

Garpu said...

Mmm...Todai! Not the greatest sushi, but good when you need instant gratification, and a lot of it. Steve and I generally do sushi on our birthday, but we don't normally go to Todai, because we're in boston. I wonder what they'd do, if two people came in with the same birthday?