6.12.2008

Anne Frank

Today is the birthday of Anne Frank. If she were alive today, she'd be 79 years old.

You can read the story of Anne Frank here. There's also an interactive monument where you can "leave a leaf" in her tree ...

One of my novice-housemates shared this quote from the teenage Anne Frank during morning prayer today:
I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death. I see the world gradually being turned into a wilderness; I hear the ever approaching thunder, which will destroy us too; I can feel the sufferings of millions; and yet, if I look up into the heavens, I think that it will become right, that this cruelty will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again. ... I must uphold my ideals, for perhaps the time will come when I shall be able to carry them out.

Powerful.

No comments: