8.29.2008

Labor Day Friday Five

I CANNOT believe it's already Labor Day Weekend! So, to help me get my head around that reality, I thought I'd play the Revgalblogpal Labor Day Themed Friday Five. Here goes ...

1. Tell us about the worst job you ever had.
Hmmm.... this is a hard one. I think the winner would be my periodic late night (or all night) stints doing inventory control. This was a random summer job a friend of mine talked me into the first summer I stayed in Portland back in my college days. Basically you go into a store late at night, after it's closed and count stuff. All night long. .... Oh, wait! I have an even worse job! It was another temp job I had during the summer in college. Again, a night job which involved lots of coffee to stay awake. The job? Stuffing pencils into junk mail envelopes. Honestly!

2. Tell us about the best job you ever had. Hmmm..... again, a hard one, but I'd probably have to say my 11 year stint as a bureaucrat at the City. As much as I complained about it, and as much as I was ready to leave by the end, working in City Hall was how I grew up. I learned how to do cool things on computers. I learned how to create and manage programs. I learned how to give presentations and talk to the media and general public. And I worked with a great group of people who knew how to have fun.

3. Tell us what you would do if you could do absolutely anything (employment related) with no financial or other restrictions. Well, this would be why I went the whole religious life route, wouldn't it?? :) ... In all honesty, if there were no restrictions at all, I'd want to spend some time doing justice and peace advocacy work. Oh yeah, that's what I get to start doing on September 8th!

4. Did you get a break from labor this summer? If so, what was it and if not, what are you gonna do about it? Yes. Summer was busy with our Congregation Chapter and the old sort/purge/packing project in preparation for my move on Tuesday back to Seattle. But I did manage to end the summer with one week of retreat and one week of vacation. Did I mention the weather was GLORIOUS for both?

5. What will change regarding your work as summer morphs into fall? Are you anticipating or dreading? Anticipating! To be honest I don't know much about the ministry situation that awaits me a week from Monday. I do know that the organization and staff have a terrific reputation and I've always been impressed by their work. Hence, I am honored and excited to be a part of it! I will feel better though once I've actually seen the place, spent some time with the people, and have more of a feel for what lies ahead.

No comments: