11.18.2008

Stag Night

Periodically I get emails from my high school Alumni office - I think I actually get more emails from my high school than my college! I just received an e-mail from them with the title of this blog post, "Stag Night."

You see, I am a graduate of DeMatha Catholic High School. The DeMatha mascot is a Stag - the "Stag Night" in question is an alumni get together and fund raiser type thing. DeMatha is well known for its sports program (numerous NBA players and a few NFL players are DeMatha grads). It's also pretty respected for its music program and academic standing. It's also an all boys school. In fact, when I looked up the Wikipedia page for DeMatha I found the slogan, "Gentlemen and Scholars."

How did I manage to graduate from DeMatha? Well, I'm happy to report that this little oddity has also made it onto the Wikipedia page:
While DeMatha continues its tradition of all-male secondary education, when Regina Catholic High School, an all-girls school in Adelphi, Maryland closed in 1989, DeMatha welcomed 21 members of the junior class who expressed a desire to finish their last high school year at DeMatha. Therefore, the class of 1990 contains the only female graduates in school history.

Yes, I am one of the 21 women graduates from the class of 1990 - 18 years ago! Egads!!

My brother is also an alum. It was certainly interesting being one of 21 girls among hundreds of boys. I'd also have to say it was wonderful intellectually for me. Believe it or not, in my Honors World Lit Class we read Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin and Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood. My english teacher is now the principal, so I think those young men are in good hands!

PS - I can't wait to see what types of folks wander over here by mistake courtesy of internet search engines, looking for information on stag night parties! I'm sure the last thing they're expecting to find is the blog of a nun! :)

3 comments:

Garpu said...

Cool. :) Being in a male-dominated field, my colleagues and friends are overwhelmingly male. it's quite a different experience.

Anonymous said...

So I have to admit, and Wikipedia 'view edits' will show, your brother is the one who added the stuff about your class graduating, and the stuff about the music program (I played football _and_ was in the band!).

Mike
DeMatha 1983

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

As I suspected! :)