3.04.2009

Dinner Conversation

I've been nursing a nasty cold the past few days. On Monday I stayed home sick. I was hiding low, trying to keep my germs away from the more infirm Sisters. I'd sneak down to the dining room at odd hours and make a peanut butter & jelly sandwich or a cup of tea. I'm feeling more human now, so I'm showing my face at meals. I figure I'm less contagious at this point. This is all a preamble to a little bit of dinner conversation I wanted to share with you:

Sister #1: Glad to see you back, Susan.

Sister #2: Oh, where were you?

Me: Sick actually, in my room trying to keep my germs away.

Sister #1: Was somebody taking care of you?

Me: Well, Sister E. (my neighbor) knew I was home sick, but I can take care of myself.

Sister #1: hmmmm... But you need a cup of tea from time to time. (She's Irish in case you couldn't tell).

Me: Well, I came down to the dining room when no one was here and got something to eat. And I have a hot water kettle in my room. I was fine.

Sister #1: ahh....

Me: I can take care of myself.

[silence]

Me: Well, maybe I'm a little too independent. I did live alone for 11 years.

Sister #3 (smiling or maybe smirking): I wasn't going to say anything.

It's all in good fun and love. It is a balancing act, being my independent self in an interdependent world. I'm not one to moan and groan and have people get me cups of tea and trays of food. But it's also nice to let people take care of you sometimes.

I'm ambulatory now anyway, even if I've still got a bit of the cold hanging on.

Spring is almost here ... right?

2 comments:

Sister Juliet, RSCJ said...

I LOVE it! The concern of your sisters combined with their wisdom that you need to figure it out for yourself.

I'm on year 9 of living alone. I'm looking forward to dinner table conversations being a regular event!

Blessings to you! Hope you continue to feel better!

Anonymous said...

That was the hardest thing for me, when I was in community, was learning to be more interdependent. I was raised to be so fiercely independent, that it was probably one of my greatest struggles.