2.18.2010

Looking back and facing foward

I've been doing a bit of reflecting of late on how I got to this point in my journey of life and faith. Rarely these days do I find myself wondering how on earth I of all people ever became a Sister. In my heart of hearts and in my daily life, it becomes more and more clear to me that this is the life I am meant to lead to live into the me God dreams I can be.

I have been remembering and reflecting on my journey into religious life. Our Congregation Leaders have invited our whole Congregation, actually, to reflect on the CARA Vocation study that was released last year. It will be the focus of our Spring Assemblies as we look to the future as a Congregation. Who are we inviting to join us, and what are we inviting them too.

Much in the CARA study resonates with me, that is the me I am today. I came to religious life for many of the same reasons that other young women and men are taking the plunge. To serve God, to integrate my prayer and work lives, in the context of community. That's what I came looking for, and that is what I have found, embodied in the amazing people who make up the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace.

I decided to spend some time with the me I was when I was discerning. No, I haven't been participating in time travel. Although looking back at my old journals is of course a form of time travel. It has been a blessed and affirming reflection time over the past few weeks. Religious life really such an amazing gift to me. How God managed to break through and get me to see that will always be a mystery. But I am so very grateful that I finally listened to those persistent thoughts. I find myself, once again, filled with such a sense of awe and grace.

Also, it's inspired me to start journaling again. Yes, I've got the blog, but it's by no means the same thing.

This, I think, is going to be one of my lenten practices. To journal my journey now, so that in the future I can look back as I look forward.

No comments: