10.31.2010

All Saints Week - Margaret Clitherow

One of my favorite aspects of Catholic Spirituality is the communion of Saints, holy men and women who have walked the Christian path before us. Models, spiritual friends, intercessors. Pretty groovy. So, this week in honor of the Feast of All Saints I thought I'd feature some new-to-me Saints here on Musings of a Discerning woman.

Today, in honor of my sister Monica who founded her own business more than 10 years ago, we highlight Saint Margaret Clitherow, patron saint of businesswomen.

Saint Margaret Clitherow (1556-1586) was an Englishwoman who converted to Catholicism at the age of 18. Her husband was a butcher and she was considered to have a good head for business.

She regularly held secret masses in her home and had a hole cut between her attic and the house next door so the priests could escape if needed. She was arrested and put to death on Good Friday 1586 for the crime of harboring Roman Catholic priests.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring saint! Thank you for sharing! God bless you!
P.S. I checked out your sister's company and it sounds great and much needed!