3.09.2011

Ambassadors for Christ

I've always had an affinity for that phrase in today's second reading from second corinthians: "We are ambassadors for Christ." No I don't think it means we need to be diplomats. Rather it seems much simpler to me. It is through us and our actions, if they are indeed grounded in our experience of God's love, that people get to know God. I'm reminded of the saying attributed to St Francis. "Preach the Gospel always. When necessary use words."

This Lent, I feel called as part of my spiritual practice to try to live this out. It is so easy for me to get caught into the negative. My humor is sarcastic if not cynical. My attitude can be not very ambassadorial. So one thing I plan to do is pay attention to how I impact others, and to ground my actions, words and response as much as possible in God's love. We'll see how it goes, with prayer and hope.

No comments: