3.08.2011

Tuning In

I must admit that the creative juices have not been flowing of late. No major unbloggables, just nothing to blog! So this evening after my Christology class I turned to an oldie but goodie from my blogging practice ... hit random on the iPod and see what songs (and possibly message) come up. As I've been learning in my theology classes, there's something called a "surplus of meaning." That is, you can get a message from something that wasn't necessarily intended by the authors. Or put another way, you hear what you need to hear. So, let's go to song #1:

1. Brian Wilson by Bare Naked Ladies (watch/listen)

So I'm lying here
Just staring at the ceiling tiles
And I'm thinking about
Oh what to think about
Just listening and relistening
To Smiley Smile,
And wondering if this is some kind of creative drought

First of all, this song is always a little trip down memory lane. Somewhere in my scrapbooks from college I have a scavenger hunt list with Bare Naked Ladies on the top circa 1991. Some friends and I named our team after this obscure Canadian band that someone had a demo tape for. I always found it funny that they later hit it big(ish).

Back to the song. It's pretty descriptive of my creative energy lately. I've actually had lots of creative energy, but have been using most of it on a few projects at my peace and justice ministry as well as school. Plus this bug which is still hanging on has me a bit tapped out. Having been in "creative droughts" in the past, I know/hope that this too will pass!

2. Polyester Bride by Liz Phair (watch/listen)
And I was sitting not two days ago
Feeling lonely, 'cause I'm just feeling low ...
And Henry said
You're lucky to even know me
You're lucky to be alive
This one too is both descriptive and bring back memories, this time circa 1998 and my late 20s. But I digress. Back to the descriptive bit ... I've been feeling a bit out of sorts lately. Not necessarily lonely or even low, just out of sorts. At the same time though, I've experienced the blessing of community--both those I live with, and just friends and folks who care about me.

3. Planet Earth by Duran Duran (watch/listen)
Look now, look all around, there's no sign of life
Voices, another sound, can you hear me now?
This is planet earth, you're looking at planet earth

Woah, talk about a blast from the past! Back in the day, and that would be 6th grade, I was slightly obsessed with Duran Duran. To the point that every October 27th I think it's someone's birthday only later to realize it's not a friend, but Simon LeBon who was born on that day!

Remember when I wrote a bit above about the creative energy in my peace and justice ministry? I had a lot of fun today finishing up the final touches on a workshop I'm giving later this week at a local Catholic high school on Climate Change. Now I'm sure "Planet Earth" is going to be going through my head, even though it was recorded many years before the students were even born! Seriously though, it's been a fun project, especially since I'm also on the Climate Change core group for our congregation.

4. I Hope by Dixie Chicks (watch/listen)
There must be a way to change what's going on
No, I don't have all the answers, but
I hope
For more love, more joy and laughter
I hope
you'll have more than you'll ever need
I hope
You'll have more happy ever afters
I hope
We can all live more fearlessly
And we can lose all the pain and misery,

Yes, I'm feeling pretty hopeful. Out of the fog and funk of the past week or so, lots of exciting things on the horizon. A good place to be as we get ready to begin the 40 days of Lent.

1 comment:

Kelly_SSJ said...

I hope you are well!! Thank you for the tuning in addittion! I will have to find a minute to update my blog too! yoy!! so little time and so many things to do with it!