11.22.2011

Giving Thanks

Your Thanksgiving Personality is Thankful




At Thanksgiving, all you want is a warm bed to sleep in and a home cooked meal to eat. As long as you have those things, you're grateful.

You're able to rise above any of the stress or drama associated with the holidays. You are just happy for what you have.

Whether it's been the best or worst year of your life, you take this day to count your blessings... no matter how small they might be.

And if possible, you try to help someone in need - anyone from a hungry stranger to a lonely friend.


I am on the east coast to spend the long Thanksgiving weekend with my Dad.  It will be good to catch up with him, hopefully sort out some things for him, and spend time in the City of my birth.

Many years ago, during a time when I seemed to be flying back east a lot when my mom was sick, I found myself very grateful for something I'd always taken for granted, if not complained about ... air travel.  All of a sudden I realized what a miracle it really is that I can step into a big metal structure, sit down, buckle myself in and a few hours later be thousands of miles away.  As someone whose family, and religious community for that matter, are scattered about the globe air travel is very important to maintaining those relationships.  So, I started a simple little ritual right before take off and after landing.  I close my eyes as I sit in my window seat and say to myself, "Thank you God for the gift of flight."

There is of course oodles more to be thankful for, but on a day when I have arrived safely on red eye flight across the country that is one of the many things I am deeply grateful for.

No comments: