4.22.2012

Gratitude

As a blogger, I have a small public profile and a wee bit of a following. On this journey into religious life, I have felt called to share glimpses of what it's like to be a Catholic Sister in 21st century America. I have shared some of my own musings and experience of community, ministry, and prayer with my groovy sisters.

I have no official comments on recent nun related events. I will leave that to the very capable hands of the women called to leadership in my community and to the larger community of US women religious through LCWR.

But as a "sister blogger" and younger woman religious, I do want to express my gratitude for the support I have felt poured out by friends and strangers alike.

In prayer this morning, I found myself filled with this deep gratitude as I reflected on the situation. We Sisters are normally in the position of being the voice of the voiceless, or quietly working with and for people who are poor or oppressed. Yet here we are, the focus of attention at the moment, both positive and negative.

I have experienced such powerful love and support in recent days. This has meant more than you can know.

It is important to remember though that in the end, it is God's love that sustains us. Like the two on the road to Emmaus and those in the upper room in today's Gospel,  we may have questions. We may be troubled.  But if we are open to Christ's love, if we both seek peace and try to be and bring peace, then it is possible to stay on the path, in the company of friends, responding in love and service to the God who first loved us.

Amen. So be it. Alleluia.

PS - Given that, as I said in the post above, I have no official comment on the recent and ongoing nun news cycle, I have disabled comments for this post.  I don't want to enter the debate publicly. Rather, I just felt called as a result of my prayer today to share my deep sense of gratitude.  Thanks for understanding.

No comments: