4.28.2012

Visitation

I lived in Portland for 16 years.  They were great years.  College.  Bureaucratic Adventures.  Becoming a Church Geek-Extraordinaire.  My time in the City of Roses means a lot to me,  filled as it was with amazing people, spiritual and personal development, and opportunities to learn and do good work.  Plus Portland is, well, Portland.  Those in the know understand.  I need say no more.

It was hard to leave six years ago to begin this journey into religious life.  I'm glad I took the risk and left the "People's Republic of Portland," as my Dad used to call it.  Life is good now too, filled with amazing people, spiritual and personal development, and opportunities to learn and do good work.  But I will always miss Portland.

Even though I only live about a three hour drive away, I haven't been able to visit  in a few months. My weekends have been filled with homework, workshops, community meetings, etc...  Tomorrow in fact I'm scheduled to give a workshop in Seattle, so even though I'm writing this from the comfort of my friend's house in Portland, I need to drive home tonight.  This is a quick visit, but an important one.  In a few hours I will head to a local parish for my god daughter's first communion!  I am so happy I can be there with her on this day.

I drove down yesterday and had some time to catch up with old friends, run a few errands, and get a great night's sleep in what may just be the comfiest guest bed I've ever slept on.  And I've slept in a lot of guestrooms.  Today I met one of my best friends for brunch at one of my all time favorite breakfast places.  Got a fresh strawberry smoothie from Burgerville (heaven!).  Did some birthday shopping for nieces and nephews at my favorite toy store, and bought a workbook for a class I'm taking at my favorite bookstore in the entire world. (Yes, lots of bests and favorites).

I've managed to pack a lot into this 30+ hour visitation of stumptown.  Looking forward to coming back again soon!

No comments: