5.24.2012

Let's Talk About Love

In today's Gospel (John 17),  lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying: "I pray not only for these, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. ... I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."

LOVE. UNITY. Seems to me the Gospel writer makes it very clear what Jesus would have us focus on. This is a big call, don't get me wrong. It's not a matter of a Barney sing along, holding hands and all getting along.  We are humans, with reason and difference of opinion. Differences give us life and energy and fuel for passionate conversation and creative work so that we can all be about the common good from our various perspectives. Yet when I look around at our world or dare I say it, our Church, I don't see a lot of conversation or collaboration grounded in love. I see a focus on that other three letter word that starts with s and ends in x. I see a lot of action motivated by fear and or control. Yet you can't control love. God is love and we can't control God either!!

This may sound a little preachy, and if so I am preaching a message I myself need to hear. It is so easy for me to ground myself in fear or my need to control. I do well to remember the wise (fictional) words of Master Yoda. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

So let's talk about love. That we all may be one.

No comments: