8.06.2012

Meetings in Saint Louis

I'm in transit on my way to St. Louis, Missouri--by way of Albuquerque which is a new airport hub to me. I'm meeting the other members of the Giving Voice core team in St. Louis.  We're scattered hither and yon and normally do most of our business virtually via skype conference calls, but it is important to gather together in the same space from time to time for prayer, conversation, and planning.

For newer readers of the blog, Giving Voice is an organization made up of younger Catholic Sisters in their 20s, 30s, and 40s.  Most of us are in a decided age minority in our own religious congregations, so having the opportunity to build relationships with age-peers across congregations is so important!  I've written about Giving Voice before here on the blog. Let's just say that my vocation is strengthened and my belief in the future of religious life renewed every time I have the chance to connect with my Giving Voice Sisters.

Last year I was invited to join the Giving Voice Core Team.  We do the behind the scenes work that makes our yearly retreat for Sisters in their 20s and 30s, national conference every two years, and online connections via Facebook, our website and Skype possible.  It's a great group of women and I'm really looking forward to the chance to spend some time with them in the same room as we plan our activities for the next few months.

While we're in St. Louis for our own "young nun" meetings, we will also be staffing a booth for Giving Voice at the nun meetings.  All of the elected leaders of the communities that belong to the Leadership Conference of Women Religious will be gathering for their annual assembly this week in St Louis.  We are there to make connections and share information about our opportunities for their newer and younger Sisters.  I'll be spending most of my time in the exhibit hall rather than in the meeting rooms.  Still, given the historic moment that we are in at this point in religious life it is a unique opportunity to be there and able to provide support and prayer in person!  I'm looking forward to seeing our own Sisters in leadership as well as some others I know.

This meeting of LCWR is very important.  If you are the praying sort, please pray for an openness to the Spirit for all involved.  While you are at it, some prayers for our Giving Voice core team would also be appreciated!

Peace

No comments: