12.22.2004

The trouble with humans

The trouble with human institutions/organizations is that pesky human part. You get a group of people together, and there will be flare ups, misunderstandings confusion, etc… I've noticed this before of course, but for some reason was surprised to realize it holds true for groups at church as well. I had a particularly frustrating Parish Council meeting last night, that made me wonder why on earth I ran for the council to begin with. Because I care is the short answer, but that doesn't make it easier.

Good to know I guess as I embark on a possible career within the church that it is not a Pollyanna world without conflict. We're still human after all. But at least we're in this endeavor not for personal aggrandizement but for the common good. Not many human institutions where that is true. We have common ground, hope and a desire to serve God.


And so in my frustration, I turned to this prayer which I've come across a few times. Seems to be perfect for the moment….


Keep us, O God, from pettiness;
let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
Let us be done with faultfinding and leave off self-seeking.
May we put away all pretenses and meet each other, face to face, without self-pity and without prejudice.
May we never be hasty in judgment and always generous.
Let us take time for all things;
make us to grow calm, serene, gentle.
Teach us to put in action our better impulses-straightforward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realize it is the little things of life that create difficulties;
that in the big things of life we are as one.
Oh, Lord, let us not forget to be kind.
Amen.
-Mary Stewart, Queen of Scots