2.16.2005

The funny business of fulfillment

I was reading about Paulist Dave Dwyer on Busted Halo. Fr. Dave apparently was a big shot at MTV before decided to become a priest. He tells the story about the night Kurt Cobain died (a day I clearly remember myself) when he pulled of a professional coup by filling in as director for the live feed:

I realized I can do this, and I'm good at it and I can make money at it and I like it…but so what. … Professionally that would have been a highlight of my career up until that point and I was 29 years old. But when I could get done with it and say, so what? I thought that, well, I don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life and go home and say ‘so what.’
How well I know that feeling. I spent the afternoon in a high power meeting on an important City policy issue. I’m playing a key role in policy and legislative development. On a "sexy" topic. And I couldn’t care less. I’m much more fulfilled when I’m doing something at church, no matter how mundane the task.

Funny business this.

No comments: