5.27.2005

A beehive in heaven


iowa_md_francois
Originally uploaded by susanrose.
I just heard today that my Aunt Alice in Iowa passed away. She's been quite ill for a while, so while it's sad news it's not a shock.

Aunt Alice is the happy mother of the bride with the beehive hairdo in this photo of the cousins at my cousin's wedding eons ago (I'm the little girl in the blue dress!).

Aunt Alice was a sweetheart. Whenever we made a visit to the family farm in Iowa she'd take extra special care of us. She will be greatly missed by her husband (my uncle Eugene), her six children, many grandchildren, and even her city slicker nieces & nephews (me included).

I have a happy image of her now in my head. She's with the latest group of arrivals in heaven (wherever/whatever that may be). My mother (who's standing to the left of the bride in this photo) is keeping an eye out for her, standing on her tip toes looking for the ever present Aunt Alice beehive. She never went anywhere without it … why would heaven be any different?

Please keep my uncle and cousins in your prayers as they grieve the loss of this terrific woman.

3 comments:

Regina said...

I'll say a prayer for your Aunt Alice tonight and for her family and you, Susan- she sounds like a wonderful woman. God bless...

St. Casserole said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Will keep all of you in my prayers.

great sandwich! said...

susan, so sorry to hear about your aunt. i always wanted to meet her (and see her beehive). i will definitely say a prayer for her and your family tonight.