5.11.2005

Domestic Church

I stumbled across a used copy of Edward Hays' Prayers for the Domestic Church at my favorite bookstore the other day. Possibly the best $5.95 I've ever spent. … If you’re looking for a prayer book for individual or family prayer check this one out. So much in this little book … daily morning and evening prayers as well as prayers for special occasions/intentions. I brought the book along with me on my trip to Alabama. When I was frustrated and struggling with my own frustrations & reactions to my dad, I cracked open the book and was blessed to find the "Prayer for Granting Forgiveness to Myself" and the prayer for Holy Parents.

Catholics sometimes put so much focus on what happens inside the four walls of our parishes. We forget that church started inside the domestic church.

3 comments:

Talmida said...

Every year on December 6th we open a door of the Advent Calendar to reveal St. Nicholas. Then we turn to Edward Hays and bless all the candy canes in the house.

My girls are almost all gone, but it is still an important ritual in our preparations for Christmas in this domestic church.

Enjoy the book, it's full of little treasures.

:)

Talmida said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Talmida said...

okay, I meant to say my girls are almost all grown not almost all gone.

Yikes!