5.15.2005

Happy Birthday to the Church!

This week was my turn to teach Sunday Pre-School during the 10:30 Liturgy. How to explain Pentecost to 4 & 5 year olds? That was my question at 9am when I still didn’t have a lesson plan. And then I realized, d’oh, pray to the Holy Spirit you knucklehead. Which I did. And wouldn’t you know it, I came up with an awesome lesson plan.

We read the story about the disciples, locked in the upper room. Sad, scared and afraid. There was a loud wind (we stood around a pinwheel and blew to make it spin). There were flames dancing on their heads (we made little paper plate hats with a flame standing up in the middle). But the flames did not hurt them, it was the Holy Spirit! And they could speak in tongues (We each said hello in a different language). At the end we sang Happy Birthday to the Church. “Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to the Church. Happy Birthday to you.” We then tried to blow the paper flames out on each others’ heads – which of course we couldn’t do because the Holy Spirit is always with us. It was fun and slightly wacky, and in a weird way I think the kids got it.

We may be knuckleheads at times, but that’s why Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit. I may not be able to speak in tongues but today I was able to speak 4 & 5 year old which is pretty close.

2 comments:

~pen~ said...

susan, every idea was wonderful!! way to go HS!

wtg susan!!

Steve Bogner said...

That's a good one! Brings back lots of good memories from when my wife and I presided at Children's Liturgy of the Word back in the day.