5.21.2005

Praying Mantis

I feel like a praying mantis these days. Or a praying Susan. On the one hand I find myself drawn more and more to prayer. And I have so many people to pray for – the list is longer than it’s ever been. Not that I believe in a God who only does things for us if we ask for them. But there’s something about praying for those in need.

Reminds me of something my spiritual director said to me when I was describing how drawn I am to prayer, how much I experience the power of prayer but don’t understand it. She said if God is in us, around us, and acts through us--we remain in good company.

And our very breath to God communicates what we need for ourselves and our
loved ones. That about sums it up.

I’m also noticing this interesting phenomenon that people are now asking me to pray for them. Or more often their sick loved ones. It think because they know I’m discerning becoming a sister. Whatever the reason I’m more than happy to … makes me feel more useful and in good company as my director said. And it’s somewhat affirming of this path. But it’s part of why I have so much to pray for. Sometimes though I just bring myself to prayer and know that God knows everything I bring to prayer whether I say it or think it or not.

Right now I’m also praying for a strained friendship … I said some things I shouldn’t have said in the heat of the moment. I always figure that out too late, but then I'm human. And like always but especially right now, I’m praying for humility. For the strength and grace to see Christ in my brothers and sisters and to reflect Christ back to them. That takes a lot of forgetting oneself. Not denying oneself or putting oneself down, but realizing that it’s much bigger than Susan.

Lastly I’m praying for my family friend Don who passed away this week. He and his wife were such sources of strength when my mom and then my dad were in the hospital. May he find eternal rest with God and may his family be comforted by memories and loved ones.

My Aunt and Uncle are also very ill. As well as many friends and relatives of friends. They are all in my heart this evening.

I’m going to turn comments back on … we’ll see what happens.
Peace,
Susan

No comments: