6.28.2005

and there was great calm

Sometimes I find myself not in the mood to go to daily mass at lunch time. I suppose I should have learned by now that this is EXACTLY when I SHOULD go. I inevitably hear something I need to hear. Like today's Gospel, Matthew 8: 23-27:

As Jesus got into a boat, his disciples followed him.
Suddenly a violent storm came up on the sea,
so that the boat was being swamped by waves;
but he was asleep.
They came and woke him, saying,
"Lord, save us! We are perishing!"
He said to them, "Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?"
Then he got up, rebuked the winds and the sea,
and there was great calm.
The men were amazed and said,
"What sort of man is this,whom even the winds and the sea obey?"

We all get overwhelmed by the storms of life at some point or another - our own daily lives and the seeming chaos of war and violence around the globe. We look around and wonder where God is. Is he sleeping on the job we wonder? "Lord, save us! We are perishing!" we cry, trying to wake him up. We're terrified, we have little faith just like the disciples. They were able to nudge Jesus on the shoulder. I imagine him rubbing his groggy eyes, looking around and sighing "Come on. Can't you deal with a little storm. Do you need me to prove to you yet again that things will be ok?" Nice guy that he is, he does and there was once again great calm.

Which is exactly what I experienced today at mass. I heard this passage and the storm subsided, being replaced by great calm. And once again, I was amazed.

Lunch time is over. Back to work. Much bureaucratic red tape to dream up …

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Susan,

That is a good one. We have always been told that the answers to our problems are in the Bible. Why don't we remember that.

I have been feeling a call to more Catholic. Do you have any notions on Opus Dei?

St. Casserole said...

According to my Mother, the times you don't want to go to church are exactly the time you need to go.
Lovely blog. Thank you for it.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Jim,

This blog focuses MOSTLy on my journey, with some variations from that theme. I'm going to bow out from commenting on opus dei, except to say that I know their path is not for me and have some concerns about them in general.

My advice (which I took myself when I came back to the church) on answerign a call to be more Catholic? Try out daily mass. Try out different Catholic parishes once in a while. Get a feel for the big giant tent that is our Catholic family. Find your niche and go deeper into that experience to find all you can be given and all you can give.

Take care.

St. Casserole - thanks! I can say the same for yours.

Jimmy said...

Susan,

Thanks for the info.

I was just wondering if you had done some background on them. I will do what you suggested and keep on researching.

I love reading your blog!