6.15.2005

beyond right and left?

I came across this article during my lunchtime reading in the Washington Post ... Religious Right, Left Meet in Middle, Clergy Aim to Show That Faith Unifies By Alan Cooperman.

The discussion about whether a move to go beyond labels and find common ground is genuine or just politics is interesting. At the moment I'm inclined to be hopeful and agree with Rabbi David Saperstein:

Saperstein, who heads the Religious Action Center, the Washington advocacy arm of the Reform movement in Judaism, said he believes the search for common ground is "both strategic and substantive."

"I think it's genuine and real, this engagement of liberals in trying to cut the number of abortions in this country," he said. "And I think conservatives are sincere when they say, 'I may be against gay marriage, but the demonization of gays and lesbians is deeply troubling to me,' or when they say, 'You can't look at the Bible without seeing the call to care for the poor.' "

No comments: