6.24.2005

God's bureaucrat?

I spent all day drafting administrative rules and bureaucratic forms for this new program I'm implementing. (By the way, it's kind of challenging describing job related items without actually broadcasting exactly what it is I do. I've taken those stories of people getting in trouble for talking about work on their personal blogs to heart.)

On the one hand it's scary how good I am at creating bureaucratic mumbo jumbo and red tape. And I'm tired of it. On the other hand I do have an appreciation for how important that task is. For instance, where would we be without the bureaucrats at the IRS making those lovely tax forms. Next time you moan about filling one out, think about how bad it would be if the person creating the form hadn't had a knack for it. Hard to imagine but filing your taxes would be even LESS fun. Bureaucracy is an art form of sorts.

A while back I watched this video of an awesome lecture by Timothy Radcliffe which I've written about before. It's stuck with me. He talks about how a vocation isn't really a break from who you are today, it's a transformation into who God's calling you to be. For example, Peter was transformed from being a fisher of fish into a fisher of people. St. Francis was transformed from a troubadour of love songs to a troubadour for God. Which makes me think, am I supposed to become a bureaucrat for God? I'd laugh at that, but I almost wonder if I'm destined to become an administrator for the groovy sisters some day, or at least for one of their sponsored ministries. Hopefully I can get a few years in of something more fun before hand!

No comments: