6.12.2005

hello again

As predicted, I hit 2,000 visitors while I was gone. Welcome & thanks for visiting!

Also as predicted, I had a wonderful time with the groovy sisters this weekend. Words cannot describe how I feel after spending time with them. Let’s just say my face hurts from smiling, my stomach muscles hurt from laughing, and my heart is filled with deep peace and thankfulness. I spent some quality time with old friends and made some new. Heard wonderful stories of days past. Was awed per usual by their commitment to justice and peace and the integrity with which they live their lives. I keep thinking one of these days I’m going to have a "so-so" community experience, that it’s inevitable. Hasn’t happened yet.

The main event was the Jubilee celebrations – anniversaries of vowed life. 10 Sisters celebrating their 75th, 70th, 60th & 50th anniversaries as Sisters of St Joseph of Peace with family and friends gathered in prayer and thanksgiving. Despite my lack of a singing voice I was part of the hastily assembled choir which gave me the added advantage of a perch above the altar where I could see all the smiling faces. The choir practice was also quite the event itself … such a cast of characters! There’s where a lot of the pain in my face and stomach muscles comes from!!!

This morning I met with my contact person and talked about moving onto the next step (moving from pre-candidate to candidate) Well, we began talking about it anyway. I have the application materials (worthy of another post – it’s quite the process!) so I can start gathering the loads of documentation. My next step is to write a letter to the director of initial formation expressing my interest in applying for candidacy. We’ll then get together and talk about what that might look like.
Like I said much happened that I’m processing. I’ll try to write more. But for now let’s just say I had a glorious weekend with some glorious women.

I was also able to visit with our Congregation Leader, Sr. Sheila. (By the way, I love how it feels natural to say "our" not "their"!). She was out visiting from DC. When I was last in DC visiting my Dad I was blessed to have the opportunity to have lunch with her and have a good long chat. She’s a wonderful woman – and was my friend Tom’s elementary school principal! Anyway, the point of bringing her up is that she told me she's read my whole blog and loves it. Nice to know I have the approval of the boss lady :) …

More later. Thanks everyone for your prayers and good thoughts.

Peace,
Susan

4 comments:

Regina said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time, Susan! It's so wonderful that you are sharing your life with us- what an honor to be a part of your process! Thank you!

Talmida said...

I have to agree, Susan. Someone asked me just the other day, "Who knows any woman who has entered the religious life in the past 10 years?" and I realized, Hey! I sort of do know someone... in a bloggy kind of way.

:)

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I'm so glad to have my bloggy friends along on this journey. I've been thinking a lot about why I'm doing this. For such an introverted person, it seems kind of crazy. But then I read a profile of Reverend Mommy on Locusts & Honey. She's one of my favorite religious bloggers and this is what she says:

"Blogging is a good way to try out new ideas, to connect with like-minded people, to learn about trends, to gather information, to connect. Really, to connect. Church is about relationship and so is blogging. ...
Blogging is more than posting diary entries on the internet -- which it can be without the opportunity to receive feedback. Publishing articles in magazines is a way to get "exposure" -- which I used to do (in Math and Aviation rags) -- but blogging is more than exposure. It is to magazine publishing as live theatre is to movies. In live theatre, you receive feedback from the audience (preaching, as well). The interaction in the cyber community is very valuable to me."

So there you have it - consider me the blogging live theater version of a woman in discernment! But rather than shakespeare, it's more like improv. Audience participation. Humor. Mistakes. And it all happens live!

Thanks for being my audience/blogging community on this journey. You have no idea how much your prayers, support and feedback mean to me.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Here's the link for the profile of Reverend Mommy. It's interesting

http://locustsandhoney.blogspot.com/2005/06/methodist-blogger-profile-theresa.html