7.16.2005

Application update

Taking a brief break from my speed reading of HP6. Figured I was due for an update on the whole discernment part of this blog. Especially since I needled my lurkers recently :) …. What is the saying about what’s good for the goose?

Anyway, as regular readers know I decided last month to take the next step with the groovy sisters and apply for candidacy. I’ve got the bulk of the application ready: documents (birth cert, baptism/confirmation cert, college transcript); have 5 of my 6 references lined up; have my physical this coming Tuesday; and managed to fit my life story into a 10 page autobiography. Still have a little of the application itself to finish up (there are “little” questions like why I want to become a Sister and why I want to enter this community – I KNOW why, but it’s hard to verbalize so that part is still blank).

The autobiography was especially interesting. Took MUCH longer than I'd anticipated … I’ve been thinking a lot since about where I’ve been and how I got here. A good exercise, which I’m sure is the point. Should also help me out when I have my psychological evaluation.

Next Saturday I’m headed up North. In the morning I have a meeting with my contact person and the formation director to talk specifics about candidacy – whether I’m ready to apply (seeing as I’ve got 80% of the application done, for my part the answer is obvious but it will be good to have dialogue about it), what I’ve learned from the pre-candidacy experience, how they feel I fit with the community, any issues, and what my candidacy year might look like. Will be a good talk I think.

Then I’m spending the weekend hanging out with the other two pre-candidates from the province, both of whom live close to groovy sisters hq. Should be fun.

Well, that’s it for now.

I heard Joe Trippi (Howard Dean’s campaign manager) on NPR last night. The discussion was about the power of the internet to connect people, as illustrated by the Dean campaign. He was talking about how the internet isn’t really just an information source, it’s a community, and the power of the internet is only realized when you realize that. Blogging has certainly helped me to see that. Realizing that in blogging communicatiion is a two way street ... if any of my virtual community members have questions about this process I’m embarking upon, drop me a note by comment or e-mail. I’ll do my best.

Peace Out
Susan

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Susan, you're in my prayers. I know how difficult the discernment process is given that I have applied to the Society of Jesus and am eagerly (okay, anxiously) waiting the word from Fr. Provincial. The realization I have had that I find consoling is that I know God is leading me somewhere - I happen to believe it's to the Society of Jesus - but wherever I finally end up, I know I will be doing my utmost to listen to and actively follow what the Lord wants for me. Ultimately, however, we end up doing what God wants in spite of ourselves :) Peace and love...

Anonymous said...

Hello, fellow Susan - I thought you'd enjoy knowing that the CSJPs have capped the application biography at 10 pages ever since I wrote one of about 35 pages....Don't know whether anyone ever read it, but I also found it a very useful process. Loved your entry on Thomas! Peace to you!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Susan,

Glad you enjoyed the post on Thomas!!

How funny that you're the reason for the 10 page limit. I had a feeling there was a reason ... some of us have so much to say! :)

My college thesis was the maximum 60 pages, which I now KNOW I could have gotten into 30. Would have been much better written too.

Anyway, thanks for being wordy so they imposed a limit! ... WIthout it I probably would have taken even longer to say exactly the same thing.

Peace,
Susan

RJ - left a note on your blog! Glad to have a companion on the journey... Blessings on yours