7.01.2005

some prayers

Folks I'm praying for these days:

  • The people of Iraq as they mark one-year of "sovereignty". My parish had a Peace Prayer Service on June 30th last year. We felt helpless at the time so did the only thing we could think to do and gathered in prayer. Speaking for myself, I had a feeling that the transition would be difficult but the amount of violence and bloodshed that has ensued is unfathomable. If it's possible I'm feeling more helpless and so I pray. For mothers and their children, for the elderly, for office workers and shopkeepers. Innocent bystanders. The mothers and fathers of young people who have chosen the path of violence. Our own young people who are in the mix, facing violence each day. Lots of prayers going over to Iraq.
  • My friend D who received her graduate degree this time last year and is still looking for work in her field. She's been quite the trooper, but I know it's hard.
  • My friend K who just graduated law school and is studying for the bar. K's girlfriend V who is also supposed to be studying for the bar but is grieving the loss of her father this summer.
  • My friend L who found out Wednesday that she's been laid off.
  • My bloggy friend Joy of Convent Files fame who starts a 30 day silent retreat today.
  • My fellow pre-candidate/almost candidate Sue who is leaving tomorrow to spend July in community with the groovy sisters.
  • Bloggy friend Brandon and his fellow Paulist novices who are getting ready to make their first promises August 6th. As well as the larger Paulist community as they continue their discernment and strategic planning process.
  • My own Paulist Parish as we face some financial difficulties and discern our own part in the strategic planning process.
  • All those who travel this holiday weekend.
  • The man at daily mass at the Downtown Chapel each day who asks for prayers for the "little" big things in his life - be it his laundry, the broken light in his bedroom, or his upcoming doctor's appointment.
  • Not to mention my own continual prayers for wisdom, patience, humor, and guidance on this path.

How 'bout you?

4 comments:

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Oops. Almost forgot. My friend is getting married in Vegas on Monday! So she and her husband to be are in my prayers too.

Theresa Coleman said...

Susan,
for myself I continue to pray for discerment.
and my list for others is very long -- it's amazing to me how much illness is in this world.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Ain't that the truth Reverend Mommy? There is so much illness.

Just heard that my sister-in-law is in the hospital with a serious infection. Adding her to my prayers ... of course!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

My sister in law is doing MUCH better. Should be heading home from the hospital tomorrow.