8.07.2005

Godtalk

This Sunday’s 1st reading is one of my all time favorites. It’s one of those ones that comes back to me over and over. It’s simple, but it’s a thinker.

At the mountain of God, Horeb,
Elijah came to a cave where he took shelter.
Then the LORD said to him,
"Go outside and stand on the mountain before the LORD;
the LORD will be passing by."
A strong and heavy wind was rending the mountains
and crushing rocks before the LORD—
but the LORD was not in the wind.
After the wind there was an earthquake—
but the LORD was not in the earthquake.
After the earthquake there was fire—
but the LORD was not in the fire.
After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound.
When he heard this, Elijah hid his face in his cloak
and went and stood at the entrance of the cave.
(1Kings 19)

I always forget where this passage is so I’ll be highlighting it in my bible. How often do we wait for God to tell us what to do. We wait for the obvious signs – the wind, earthquake and fire. We’re so busy looking for the signs that we don’t hear the tiny whispering sound – often times in the quiet of our own hearts – that tells us all we need to know. God is with us, God loves us. Even when we are discerning big life changes, it is in the way our heart responds that God speaks to us. If it is something that we’re really not supposed to do, do you think our heart will be at peace?

I remember last August when I first met the groovy sisters. I had just started seriously exploring religious life and had gone up for a discernment retreat. I had a great time. I felt at home instantly. Yet there was no earthquake. No wind. No voice from the sky saying, "Susan. This is it. Stop looking for a while and check them out." Rather, there was the quiet whispering sound of my heart that it took me a while to listen to.

There are many times that this pattern has repeated in my life. And continues to repeat itself. I’m sure I’m not alone. I sometimes think it would be easier to have the voice from the heavens, but would I listen then? I’d probably just check myself into a psychiatric hospital :).

A rambling post. I’m exhausted truth be told. Think I should head to bed early tonight. Busy week ahead. Rest need I. Bed awaits. Night.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This reading has also been with me all day along with the Gospel from Matthew 15:21-28. The disciples in the boat being tossed around by the raging winds are in turmoil. Jesus is not with them - literally. It isn't until Jesus joins them and the storm calms that they are able to find peace. For me, the message is that without Jesus there is turmoil, and with Jesus there is peace and tranquility. The soft whisper offers enormous grace if you can stop and listen, and trust in God.

Anonymous said...

one of my favourites too - and like you it's never where I think it is /should be in my Bible

trouble with a non-liturgical not using the lectionary church is that we didn't have any reading of this yesterday , but the blessing is that your blog (and others) brought that message to me anyway, and it was what I needed to hear.

speak up ! I'm a bit deaf right now. what? or you are whispering on purpose so I'll come a step closer. Right!

Be blessed :)

Regina said...

That's a wonderful reading, Susan- I am getting my highlighter out at this moment- have a good rest...

Unknown said...

oops...the Gospel was Mt 14:22-23...so sorry.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Richard,

Last night I read today's readings over AGAIN, and then the Gospel reading linked up with the 1st reading for me as well. The message I was getting was keep your eye on Christ - then you too can do great things. It's when we look down at our feet, when we fail to trust, when we are preoccupied looking for the bangs and whistles that we can't hear the simple whisper of love calling us forward across the water. Great images. I love Peter. He's such a dolt, and yet he becomes the rock of the church. Gives us all hope.

Lorna - glad to be of help! If you're ever interested in what the lectionary readings are I've got a link to them on the sidebar.

Regina - thanks. I'm so well rested I woke up without my alarm!

lorem ipsum said...

I'm a bit confused.

If God is in everything, how come he wasn't in the wind, earthquake, fire, etc.? I understand and appreciate the part about God being in the silence, or the moments between tumults. But why did God do a bait-and-switch on Elijah? I am reminded of 'The Wizard of Oz,' where there's all that commotion and the Wizard is just a small fraction of it.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Lorem,

I'm not a theologian or a scripture scholar. But what I take from this reading is that yes, God is in the everything. And in many of the prohpet stories, God does use the dramatic effects of fire, earthquake and wind to get the point across. But the message here seems to be that God also uses the tiny things to get the point across. So we need to listen with open hearts. Easier said than done sometimes, I know. Especially when we are surrounded by the fire and earthquake and keep looking around, trying to see the face of God in it all.

lorem ipsum said...

Ah... thank you. Lovely.

Lately I've been surrounded by fire and earthquake.

andrea said...

I'm left thinking that I put God in an impossible situation.

When God whispers I think "why don't you make things clearer to me? You know I'm thick and I don't always get the message. Couldn't you make it easier?"

And then I think about Mary at the Annunciation. If I thought I was seeing angels I'd be scared to death. "Be it done to me according to your will"??? Not likely! I'd be too busy hiding in the closet!

I know I miss a lot...but please, Lord, let's stay with the whispers!