8.08.2005

this one was different

I just got a brand new reaction to my “nun-news” as I’m starting to think of it. As regular readers know, I’ve been slowly telling folks that I’m discerning a religious vocation. Those that are important to me I told many moons ago. But general acquaintances I tell as the Spirit moves. Most often in response to the question, “What’s new with you?”. I almost always catch them completely unawares, and their reactions are interesting.

I got a new one this evening. I ran into a friend I haven’t seen in a while at the grocery store. She asked what was new. I told her. Her reaction ... Well, I know I can’t do it justice but it went something like this. “You know, one of the things that saddens me in the life is that my life went in the direction of a husband and kids.” I looked at her. “I mean, I always thought I’d become a nun. Don’t all Catholic girls.” I continued to look at her. “But you know, boys got in the way and I knew that the two didn’t go together. So there you have it. But good for you.” All said in a straight faced completely matter of fact voice.

Very interesting. Not only did this Catholic girl not think she’d become a nun, she ran away from the thought whenever it crept into her mind. And now look at her - sharing her "nun-news" in the dairy aisle of her grocery store.

3 comments:

Regina said...

Yes, very interesting indeed, Susan... I do believe that all little Catholic girls, at least those around my age- in their 40's-had at least one little notion in their heads about becoming nuns... I know I did. And when I get upset with the hubby, I find myself right back there! Although, of course, that's not why you become a nun! Anyway- I can't help but chuckle!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I told someone else today. They looked at me. Said "Well, you'd be good at that." Then said they had to go and pretty much ran away.

She's another Catholic friend. With some issues of her own I'm guessing that somehow were triggered by my news.

We are such interesting animals.

Jen said...

When I tell people I'm going to "minister school," I typically get one of two reactions:

1. "Really? Cool. You'll be good at that. So, anyway..."

2. "Really? Hmm." (Upon next encounter, behaviour has changed completely, as though I'm suddenly a completely different person from the one they've known for years.)