9.07.2005

blessings and overload

Today's daily meditation from the Henri Nouwen Society:
To bless means to say good things. We have to bless one another constantly. Parents need to bless their children, children their parents, husbands their wives, wives their husbands, friends their friends. In our society, so full of curses, we must fill each place we enter with our blessings. We forget so quickly that we are God's beloved children and allow the many curses of our world to darken our hearts. Therefore we have to be reminded of our belovedness and remind others of theirs. Whether the blessing is given in words or with gestures, in a solemn or an informal way, our lives need to be blessed lives.

I'm on overload at the moment. Work. Friends. Church. Discernment. Life. Nothing bad is happening, there's just too much happening. And when too much is happening, I get caught up in me, what I need, what I want, what I think. I let people annoy me. I get frustrated and short tempered. I may say things I really don't mean to say, hurt people in ways I really don't want to hurt. But I'm so on overload, I'm not really aware of the specifics of any of this.

So, at the moment I'm feeling generally sheepish like I may have done some of these things to various people in my various circles, but don't really know who to apologize to because, well, I'm on overload.


And so I stop, pause and breathe. And in the spirit of this daily reflection from Henri Nouwen, I bless all our endeavors and daily activities and thank our creator for this wonderful gift of life. Even when it sometimes seems like too much.

3 comments:

opinionated said...

Blessings upon you. Part of our overload is too much news!

andrea said...

Susan, we seem to think an awful lot alike. I got that e-mail this morning and sent it off to several friends along with love and blessings.

Blessings to you, beloved daughter of God!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Thanks jean and andrea.

Andrea, what is it they say about great minds? :) ... (maybe its the paulist influence that has us on the same wavelength).